Update: This bill was tabled in committee. New post with all the details.
The HB 540 Nanny Bill makes cities ask permission of the state.
The HB 540 Nanny Bill requires home rule cities to ask for the Attorney General’s permission before passing a municipal ordinance. This bill was filed by Rep. Phil King in retaliation of the Denton vote to ban fracking.
- Public securities for parks, street improvements and other infrastructure.
- Public securities for safety such as Police and Fire Departments.
- Sale of alcohol.
- Indoor smoking bans.
- Tree ordinances to protect trees.
- Plastic bag ordinances.
- Bans on texting while driving.
- Limits on location of sexually oriented businesses.
- Limits on panhandling.
This bill is not just about fracking as many of our lawmakers mistakenly believe. This is a broad government overreach!
An easy way to stop this power grab:
It only takes 2 minutes.
If possible, please show up in Austin to speak against this bill at the hearing Wednesday, March 11, 2015.
COMMITTEE: State Affairs
TIME & DATE: 10:30 AM or upon final adjourn./recess
PLACE: JHR 140
For more information: Read the Texas Municipal League response to H.B. 540.