The Protect Our Children Act (HB 3403) gives cities the power to govern oil & gas facilities within 1,500 feet of a Texas school or daycare.
We need HB 3403 because the oil & gas lobby has practically eliminated local control over oil & gas operations — even if these operations would harm our kids.
Science shows hazardous oil & gas pollution threatens the health of kids (and grown ups, for that matter) close to these facilities. And it’s just common sense that a heavy industrial activity’s noise and traffic doesn’t go well with teaching and learning.
Right now, according to data from state regulators and the federal Department of Education, more than 221,000 Texas kids in more than 925 schools live within 1,500 feet of an oil & gas facility.
TAKE ACTION: Please urge your state legislator to co-author HB 3403, the Protect Our Children Act!
- Send/amend the sample letter to the right. Personalized letters have a much greater impact.
- Click “send your message” to send your letter.
- SHARE this alert with your friends and family via the subsequent page. Share via email, Facebook, Twitter and/or email
For more information:
- HB 3403, the Protect Our Children Act
- Health threats from living near oil and gas in Texas: oilandgasthreatmap.com
About Sharon Wilson
Sharon Wilson is considered a leading citizen expert on the impacts of shale oil and gas extraction. She is the go-to person whether it’s top EPA officials from D.C., national and international news networks, or residents facing the shock of eminent domain and the devastating environmental effects of natural gas development in their backyards.
- Web |
- More Posts(5117)
This is a good step forward–hope it goes forward. If it succeeds, the O&G goons will have to “buy off” the local politicians so that they don’t pass any restrictive laws. At least that will be a small additional cost to the O&G operators.