He has gone too far.
Update 2: Today I spoke with Smitherman’s assistant and she confirmed that he was in the office yesterday afternoon so he retweeted this from a state computer.
Maybe Smitherman should pay more attention to his job.
Texas Tribune reports
Top Oil and Gas Regulator Retweets Noose Image
by Kate Galbraith April 11, 201
I wonder if there is still justice for all. From the comments: via Texas Tribune on Facebook
“Threatening other officials is a Class C or D felony, usually carrying maximum penalties of 5 or 10 years under 18 U.S.C. § 875, 18 U.S.C. § 876”
- Salon, “Perry’s appointee’s noose tweet sparks outrage“
- Mother Jones, “Texas GOPer Tweets Image of Noose for Republicans Who Even Debate Background Checks“
- Huffington Post, “Barry Smitherman, Texas Railroad Commission Chairman, Retweets Noose With GOP Senators’ Names“
- Washington Times, “Texas official slammed for re-tweeting noose image after gun vote“
- Think Progress, “Rick Perry Appointee Tweets A Picture Of A Noose, Accuses Pro-Gun Regulation Senators Of ‘Treason’“
- Opposing Views, “Texas Railroad Chairman Barry Smitherman Tweets Hanging Noose Picture, Republican Names“
- Texas Tribune, “Top Oil & Gas Regulator Retweets Noose Image“
- State Impact NPR, “Top Oil & Gas Regulator Retweets Noose Image“
- Houston Chronicle,”Treason? Texas RR Commission Chair criticizes Republicans opposing gun filibuster, re-tweets image of a noose“
- Dallas Observer, “Barry Smitherman Retweets Image of Noose, Accompanied by Names of Senators Who Voted To Consider Gun Safety Proposals“
- Burnt Orange Report, “Texas Railroad Commissioner Barry Smitherman Posts Awful Tweet“