I couldn’t tell you about this earlier because I was having technical difficulties. A whole town had to evacuate!
Town Of Medford Evacuated Due To Gas Leak
Mar 01, 2012 5:14 PM CST
The American Red Cross says the town of Medford is being voluntarily evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a leak at ONEOK natural gas facility.City officials say an evacuation advisory was issued at 3 p.m. Rusty Surette with the Red Cross says the amount of propane spewing from the leak has increased. The winds have increased, as well, and that’s created a dangerous situation for citizens.Surette says a shelter has been opened in the town of Wakita at the old school located at 200 South Spruce. Anyone who needs a place to stay can go there.Surette says residents should bring medications, identification, blankets, pillows, infant necessities, toiletries, eye glasses and a cell phone charger for a cell phone if necessary. No pets will be allowed in the shelter.A spokesperson for ONEOK says the company considers the air levels in the area safe.Because of the leak, US81 between Pond Creek and Medford in Grant County will be closed for at least one week due. Transportation officials say traffic will be re-routed to SH11, SH74 and US60.More:
About Sharon Wilson
Sharon Wilson is considered a leading citizen expert on the impacts of shale oil and gas extraction. She is the go-to person whether it’s top EPA officials from D.C., national and international news networks, or residents facing the shock of eminent domain and the devastating environmental effects of natural gas development in their backyards.
- Web |
- More Posts(5116)
There was a leak like this at an LPG storage facility in Brenham TX in 1992 that did explode:
There were 3 deaths & 23 injuries there.
Stan Scobie says
LP (propane) leaks are particularly dangerous because propane is heavier than air.
Methane (natural gas) is lighter than air. It diffuses pretty readily and doesnt stick around.
Propane, being heavier will accumulate in a pocket, especially if there is little wind (outside); inside your house it accumulates in the basement often with horrible results.
Stan Scobie, Binghamton, NY