EPA TO INVESTIGATE TEXAN’S DRINKING WATER CONTAMINATION
Wise County homeowner to be included in national fracking study, he says; property value has plummeted Tim Ruggiero’s 10 acre-property in Wise County is among seven case studies selected for a national hydraulic fracturing study by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Ruggiero said Thursday.
The EPA announced Thursday the inclusion of Wise and Denton Counties in the Barnett Shale play as part of the study’s look into the impact of fracking on drinking water supplies. The federal agency would not confirm the exact location in Wise County, citing “privacy” concerns.
Ruggiero said he ordered drinking water tests at his home before Aruba Petroleum’s drilling began and two more tests afterwards. Before drilling, the water tested “crystal clear,” he said. Afterwards tests showed contamination from Boron, Strontium and Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether (MTBE), which is associated with diesel fuel. Aruba’s spokesman was not immediately available for comment. EPA selected the sites following “extensive input from stakeholders,” the agency said in a prepared statement, although officials at the Texas Railroad Commission and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality said they received courtesy calls from EPA only yesterday.
About Sharon Wilson
Sharon Wilson is considered a leading citizen expert on the impacts of shale oil and gas extraction. She is the go-to person whether it’s top EPA officials from D.C., national and international news networks, or residents facing the shock of eminent domain and the devastating environmental effects of natural gas development in their backyards.
- Web |
- More Posts(5117)
John Smith says
– The oil operator, Mark Cruthird, on my land by Burkburnett, TX said that he was going to kill me b/c I said to him that an open pit on his lease might be what caused my well water to go bad. His death threat came after he said that he was going to beat me up twice, have my cousin killed by his biker gang, a meth lab was found on my land, the operator had run off a farmer/rancher that was leasing our land. This doesn’t even begin to describe all of the horrors that I’ve experienced with the operator. I went to jail because of a terroristic threat and unlawfully carrying a weapon b/c the operator was lying to the police and I believe that he was bribing them too. I’ve had fences torn down, windows busted out of a camper, lots of acres destroyed by salt water. The operator said that he would not allow us to be on the land even though we own it.
– I am having a tough time figuring out if his behavior is because he is an insane sociopath scumbag or if it is because it is normal behavior in the oil and gas industry. I’m also finding that meth in the oil field is pretty bad but I’m not sure if it’s an epidemic.
– I went to the UT Oil and Gas conference in Houston to try to find a lawyer after exhausting all local sources and found that out of about 30 lawyers that I talked to only one would take the side of the land owner. The rest of the lawyers would only represent big oil and gas. The lawyer that would take my side against goliath advised me to go find some lead pipes and have the operator beat up. This was a lawyers solution.
– Texas law very much leans on the oil and gas side against the landowners. In the past, it has been difficult to get the mass public against big oil and gas. Now, with gas and diesel climbing past $3.00 a gallon, fuel cells and lithium battery Electric Vehicles available and the economy falling apart, The mass public is ripe to crush these people that are ruining the world. Maybe protests and demonstrations. The mass media must be utilized.
– There are good people in the oil and gas business but with oil at 100 a barrell, lots of them are basically maniac bullies winning the lottery. What price was oil at about a month before the great recession of 2008: $150!!! How many people has the oil and gas industry killed or ruined because they pioneered a way for cars to get better gas mileage? Just imagine how the oil and gas people behave abroad out of the country!
Some of this is completely unlawful. Do you have any pictures or documentation.