Eagle Ford Shale: Water contamination show and tell

by TXsharon on June 13, 2011

in Eagle Ford Shale

This is just a quick update from our tour of the Eagle Ford Shale. I’ll have a more complete report with lots of photos up later.

This is Toby Frederick holding a jug of his water that the Texas Railroad Commission said was fine. I have a jar of it to carry with me so you can have a sniff.

Here are some links to some of the media coverage:

Emily June 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Thanks for coming to the UU Church in College Station to share your message. I know our numbers were small and I confess I didn't stay through the whole Q&A (though I did hear the panel's initial presentations), but I think you made a huge difference in educating the citizens of Bryan and College Station. Keep up the good work! ~ Emily, ebritt@gmail.com

Anonymous June 13, 2011 at 9:39 pm

This scene repeats itself all over the country. Get a fracking clue!

Chritsine Heinrichs June 13, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Margaret Mead said, "A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Keep working. Thanks for your leadership, Sharon.

Anonymous June 14, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Looking for the link on Texas RRC site for Injection/Disposal Well Applications. At the Cuero meeting it was mentioned that the public can search the Permit Application Logs for up coming Injection Wells – in order to protest these wells. Can't find the page anywhere, just Permits for wells already established. (Not looking for the Drilling Permits – found the W1 page.) Looking for Injection Wells planned.

Any help would be great!

Mike H. June 15, 2011 at 9:19 am

There needs to be a press conference where people can show off what fracking has done to their well water. Then, maybe use that well water to water the lawns of the homes of the Politicians who feel it's OK to drink that water.

Steve September 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Come on… please tell me there’s more compelling evidence than some terrible well water. Have you been out Big Spring way at some point? The well water in the whole area smells and tastes awful, but is well below EPA drinking water limits for everything.

I’ve been looking for years for strong evidence of hydraulic fracturing (not drilling – fracturing) contaminating well water. I understand the EPA is underfunded (and I sincerely hope their current study is thorough and exhaustive) but there is yet to be one single good example of a case where hydraulic fracturing contaminated drinking water.

I’ve been in the industry for several years – long enough to see that there are a fair number of money hungry idiots who would toss their mother under a bus for a little more profit; but also that there are an enormous number of conscientious, technically sound engineers and scientists who comfortably raise families in the shadow of the oil and gas industry. Are we all just naiive or in denial, or is it possible that even with insider knowledge we believe these operations can be done in a safe way? There are very few safe clean industries, and this one has its risks. I am still far more comfortable putting my shild in a house near a drilling rig than next to a coal power plant, a chemical manufacturer, or any number of other industrial operations.

I’m all for stronger regulation and better oversight, but to lump every rig and every operator into some faceless group of evil trying to kill the planet is really just silly. I’d be happy to discuss that with anybody who disagrees. It’s difficult to have that discussion with people who have already made up their minds without having facts.

For instance, if you really believe it’s a fact that horizontal fracturing is fundamentally different from vertical fracturing then we’re not even talking from the same versions of reality.

TXsharon September 16, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Steve said:
“I’ve been in the industry for several years”

Really? I almost couldn’t tell. It’s not like you spew the same old company line we’ve heard a million times of anything.