Your letters/calls helped defend our property rights from their last attack
Early this legislative session, in response to voter pressure, SB 875 was improved in the Senate. In its original form it would have prevented landowners from using Texas nuisance law to sue drillers that had polluted their property.
Unfortunately, yesterday Dennis Bonnen (R-Angleton) added an amendment to the House version of the bill that gives industry a “get-out-jail-free card” for the nuisance clause in Chapter 7 of the Texas Water Code
This nuisance clause is currently the ONLY way Texans can defend their property from pollution trespasses.
A FEW of the violations this amendment provides a defense for are:
- Unauthorized discharge
- Failure to properly use pollution controls
- Hazardous waste
- Intentional or Knowing Emission of Air Contaminant and Knowing Endangerment
- Violations Relating to Low-Level Radioactive Waste
With one click you can ask bill-author Senator Troy Fraser to strip the Bonnen amendment, and ask your State Senator to stand with Fraser to protect Texans’ right to defend their property against irresponsible drilling.
- Go to page bottom and enter your zip code so the system can find your Senator
- Read the sample letter that appears and edit it if possible. Customized letters have greater impact.
- Click “Send My Message” to fax your letter to your Texas state Senator and Troy Fraser.
- NOTE: only Texans can take action
About Sharon Wilson
Sharon Wilson is considered a leading citizen expert on the impacts of shale oil and gas extraction. She is the go-to person whether it’s top EPA officials from D.C., national and international news networks, or residents facing the shock of eminent domain and the devastating environmental effects of natural gas development in their backyards.
- Web |
- More Posts(5117)
Sent it to Denton City Council and Denton Democrats so we will see how far it goes. The election is over you know and so maybe the attention to the public.