The $423,300 fine is said to be a record fine for a single incident but it’s meaningless to Williams and useless in washing water tainted with benzene.
Ned Prather lives in a cabin northwest of Parachute and on May 30, 2008, he drank from the benzene contaminated spring near his cabin.
Tests on June 4, 2008, found benzene levels that exceeded state groundwater standards by 32 times at the spring and 13 times at the cabin’s kitchen fauce
It’s said the contamination came from a leaking waste pit at the Williams pad site. Why would Williams use a waste pit? That’s not best practice. Isn’t it interesting how these companies know how to prevent these kinds of “accidents” but they won’t unless they’re forced? In this case, using a closed-loop systems like Williams does in urban areas would have prevented this water contamination.
LINK to the entire article.