All of the toxins that have been reported throughout the Barnett Shale from the drilling processes were carried in methane BECAUSE natural gas IS methane.
All the following toxins came with the methane.
- Benzene – 8.7 times Long Term ESL
- Carbon Disulfide – 10.7 times short term ESL
- Carbon Disulfide – 107 times long term ESL
- Xylene – 1.1 times the long term ESL
- Naphthalene – 3.6 times the long term ESL
- And so on…
REMEMBER: In DISH when these chemicals were detected, the methane was 3 times the normal level at 5.9ppm. The methane in Flower Mound exceeded 40ppm on March 2nd and March 3rd. That’s 6.7 times more methane than what was found in DISH.
The methane is a concern not because it is toxic but because it is a potent greenhouse gas and the fact that methane is escaping means it is likely that other chemicals are also present.
Yeesh! People, people, people…