Three names to remember:
- Governor Rick Perry
- Attorney General Greg Abbott
- Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples
Today these three gambled with the health of Texans to pull a political stunt. They filed a lawsuit against challenging the Environmental Protection Agency’s 2009 finding that greenhouse gases endanger human health.
I’m getting to this late so everything good has already been said.
“The lawsuit filed by Governor Perry is asking the Environmental Protection Agency to ignore the Supreme Court’s decision in U.S. vs. Massachusetts. Their action evokes memories of a sad time in Texas history from the ’50s, when Texas politicians sought to nullify decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court. Not only is it legally unsound, it puts Texas on the side of the 1950s economy, against the clean energy economy of the future.”
Texas VOX (they will have a video up later)
This morning Governor Perry attempted to show Texas voters that he is bigger than both Texas and federal law by enacting a lawsuit against the Environmental Protection Agency’s(EPA) endangerment finding for carbon dioxide, but instead just further highlighted his failure to protect Texans’ health and the safety and long term stability of our economy and climate.
Key Point: Perry simply wants to nationalize his election with lofty rhetoric that are short on facts so that everyone can ignore the decade of failure he has pushed down Texas. The question is: Will Texas voters (and the Texas press corps) let him get away with it?
- As of two years ago, Texas was the top carbon polluter in the country. (Source: USA Today)
- Bush’s EPA, in 2008, denied one of Perry’s waiver requests. This is not just an Obama issue. (Source: EPA)
- The Environmental Protection Agency has shown good faith working with Texas on addressing the problem — going so far as to delay, by six months, a study on the state air permitting rules.
- Perry denies global warming exists, and the presiding officer of of TCEQ he appointed denies it exists as well. (See below)
These three and their cronyism and corporatism are largely responsible for the reason Texas air is so unhealthy and the reason our regulatory agencies are dysfunctional and unresponsive.
Who can forget:
Governor Rick Perry of Texas Pokes The Eye of the Federal EPA and Appoints a Climate Change Denier to be the State’s Top Environmental Official