dirty laundry air.
EPA Tangles With Texas in Battle Over Air Quality
Agency Takes Activist Stance on Pollution, Calling Local Rules Lax; State Officials Complain of ‘Bureaucratic Meddling’
“Our results speak louder than bureaucratic meddling,” said Katherine Cesinger, a spokeswoman for Gov. Rick Perry, a Republican.
Aren’t we so proud of those “results” and what Rick Perry has brought to Texas? From Hank Gilbert
- Texas is the worst air polluter in the nation. (SOURCE: Congressional Quarterly’s State Fact Finder 2007)
- Texas releases more volatile organic compounds into the air than any other state in the country. (SOURCE: ScoreCard.org )
- Texas releases more toxic chemicals into water than any other state in the nation. (SOURCE: ScoreCard.org)
- Texas ranks fifth in the nation in terms of toxic chemicals released into the air. (SOURCE: ScoreCard.org)
- Texas releases more cancer-causing carcinogens into the air than any other state in the U.S. (SOURCE: ScoreCard.org)
- Texas ranks seventh out of the fifty states in terms of the number of cancer-causing carcinogens released into water. (SOURCE: ScoreCard.org)
- Texas ranks second among the fifty states in the amount of hazardous waste generated and first in carbon dioxide emissions. (SOURCE: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency [LINK])
Here’s a quote from Perry’s global warming denier pick to head up the TCEQ:
“Our system is not broken,” said Bryan Shaw, chairman of the Texas environmental commission. “It’s just misunderstood.”
Aw. It sucks to be misunderstood.
The American Lung Association gives Dallas, Tarrant and Denton Counties a grade of
for our air quality. When I was in school, an “F” meant you failed. If our system isn’t broken, it’s missing a good chance.