Calvin Tillman is Mayor of DISH, TX, the community where Barnett Shale drilling development has caused “Amazing and very high levels” of toxics found in the ambient air study. The mayor sent out the following email tonight:
FYI we have a resident of DISH who went and had toxicology tests and they found carbon disulfide in his system. He doesn’t live in the typical direct path either; however, I do.
The residents of DISH need our prayers and good thoughts.
The citizens in DISH need more than our prayers and good thoughts. They need medical help. Many of the residents are very poor–Big Gas never pollutes to this extent in wealthy neighborhoods–and cannot afford the toxicology testing or treatment. We need to find a group of doctors or a medical school to help.
Health effects of Carbon Disulfide include:
Contact can irritate and burn the skin and eyes.
Exposure can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, fatigue
High and repeated exposure can affect the heart causing chest pains.
Damage to nerves result from high or repeated exposure.
Personality changes of depression, anxiety and irritability can be caused by repeated exposure.
May cause liver and kidney damage.