Who can forget the WWJD fad from the 90s? Everybody and their dog succumbed to the WWJD marketing craze and bought caps, t-shirts, bumper stickers, bracelets…you name it they marketed it ad nauseam. Most gave little thought about the answer to the question: WWJD?
WWJD about Carter Avenue? I think Jesus would first ask some questions:
- Why Carter Avenue?
- Why put a dangerous pipeline in the front yards of poor people?
- Why not put the pipeline next to the freeway?
- Does the DOT think pipelines are too dangerous to be next to freeways?
- Where are the pipelines in the wealthy neighborhoods?
- Did the wealthy make a secret deal to keep pipelines out of their neighborhoods?
- Why have you chosen to risk these beautiful children?
I would bet my broken down farm with all the gas wells around it that the Mayor of Fort Worth and all the City Council members go to church almost every Sunday. They sing hymns, bow their heads in prayer, give hugs and shake hands in a distorted imitation of Christianity. I wonder if any of them has ever stopped to consider: What would Jesus do on Carter Avenue?
It’s not too late! Is there a Zacchaeus in the Fort Worth City Government who will actually Do What Jesus Would Do?
Let’s urge them to imitate Christ, walk in his footsteps. It’s not that hard to imagine.