Want Cancer? Move to Texas.
Worst Air in Texas
• Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), include benzene, toluene, formaldehyde, and many other harmful substances. They combine with NOx to form ground level ozone.
• Benzene, a VOC often released during venting and dehydration, is known to cause cancer.
• Methane (CH4), a VOC, is a powerful greenhouse gas.
• Hydrogen sulfide (H2S) may be released by flaring and venting. Is harmful at low levels and fatal at high levels.
• Nitrogen oxides (NOx) are released during flaring and burning of diesel fuel or natural gas. They combine with VOCs to form ground level ozone.
• Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are present in oil and gas formations, and are produced when hydrocarbons are burned. Some PAHs cause cancer.
• Sulfur dioxide (SO2) is released when natural gas and diesel are burned. It contributes to particulate pollution and acid rain.
• Particulate matter is produced by exhaust fumes, dust and other air emissions. These small particles get lodged in the lungs and may lead to many health problems.
The solution is a political one. Check the environmental scorecard of your legislators.