Range Resources Corporation, a company based out of Fort Worth, has secured the rights to drill 5 gas wells on a 3-acre site of land on the Rayzor Ranch Development. Their proposed site is either directly across the street or in close proximity to:
- McKenna Park
- Denton Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital
- Vintage Retirement community
- Residential homes
- Denton County MHMR Center
- University of North Texas
- Numerous doctor offices including
- pediatricians and ob/gyns
Here is an article about a wastewater leak from a Range well that killed aquatic creatures in a Pennsylvania stream.
How did this happen?
Just two individuals who own property within 500 feet of the proposed site gave their consent. In for their consent, these individuals were promised royalities. These 2 properties are rental houses. Little notice has been given to the adjacent residential & medical property owners. Most of the property ownders had no idea that this site had been secured to drill 5 gas wells until a few concerned neighbors began knocking on doors just days before the proposal went to the City Council. Ninety-three percent of the eighty neighboring residents contacted are against the drilling.
What you can do:
Get informed and let others know… Visit our website: We aren’t the only ones struggling with this. See what others have experienced.
Sign the petition and encourage others to the same.
August 4 at 6:30 p.m.
Write, email and call the City council and voice your concerns. Ask them to vote no to the Range Resources Specific Use Permit and conduct environmental, traffic and economic impact studies. Remind them of how:
“The City of Denton is committed to the good stewardship of our environment and takes pride in the diversity of its environmental programs and award-winning and innovative approaches to environmental issues.” (Taken from the City of Denton website)
What does this mean for our city?
- -Water & soil contamination
- -Air, noise, & light pollution
- -Elevated Ozone levels
- – Fracing requires between 1.2 to 3.5 million gallons of water per well depending on if it is vertical or horizontal. Where will this vast amount of water come from?
- – The water is wasted (stored in tanks) and no longer available for us. It is contaminated with volatile organic chemicals, toxic heavy metals, sulfur containing compounds and salt water minerals
Health & Safety:
- -Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM) is present in the Barnett Shale area. NORM consist primarily of Radium 226 and 228
- Radium 226 has a half life of 1,622 years. Radium 226 is a bone seeker and is a known carcinogen associated with lung and bone cancer.
- -Possible permanent hearing damage created by the noise from drilling (90 decibels)
- -Potential catastrophic accidents.Roads blocked by convoys of semi-trucks loaded with toxic waste. This includes streets which are the thoroughfare of emergency vehicles, I-35 & 380.
- Neighborhood Depreciation & Property Values:
- -After drilling, land and home values plummet. Most leases are “held by production”, meaning the industrial operations continue for decades. Homes close to active drilling are very hard to sell.
- -Possible damages to nearby structures caused by the vibrations of „fracing‟ and „refracing‟
- -Gas drilling is expensive for towns and municipalities, with increased costs for road repair, emergency services, and local infrastructure. Who pays for this?