I posted the story here.
It seems they were drilling in a neighborhood into shale for natural gas.
“This was a total shock that has never happened to us before,” OVE President Charlie Masters told the audience. “But we feel we are at least partly to blame.”
Masters said his company owns the recently drilled gas well at the end of English Drive. He told residents this was the first such well his company has ever drilled in the township. He said his company has successfully drilled hundreds of gas wells during its eight years of operation.
Thankfully, no one was injured in the blast.
Bainbridge Fire Chief Brian Phan said Monday that OVE drillers may have hit a pocket of gas in the shale as they drilled the 3,900-foot gas well. Natural gas may have leached into the development’s aquifer, causing dangerous buildup in some water wells.
The trouble came to a head Friday night when a Bainbridge resident called the fire department to complain about foul-smelling drinking water. Hours later, a house on English Drive exploded off its foundation, causing heavy damage to one end of the structure.
Drilling in neighborhoods might not be the best idea.