15 cattle died mysteriously in Palo Pinto County and the veterinarian, Craig Sweatt, thinks it could be from drinking poisoned water.
He estimated from the bloating of the dead cattle that they died an “acute death” – within minutes to hours, with no advance symptoms – during the past two-to-three days. He said sending the entire body of the cow that died Tuesday afternoon to A&M, in College Station, was the best way to submit a specimen for autopsy purposes.
Toxic runoff and blue green algae are being investigated as possible sources of the poisoning but at least one resident suspects oil and gas toxins. In a letter to the editor, Mark Engebretson asks where the Texas Railroad Commission is: