This happened last night in Guernsey County, Ohio.
The gas the men encountered is commonly referred to as “poison gas” or “sour gas” and is common in natural gas drilling. The men were wearing the proper meters to check for gas, officials said.
“It happens all over. It’s something they’re trained to deal with but, sometimes it happens so fast that their protective clothing doesn’t warn them quick enough and they’re unable to deal with it,” said Antrim Volunteer Fire Department Chief Don Warnock.
The men are employed for Chipco Oil and Gas Well Services. Company representatives were at the site Thursday but had no comment.
One of the victims is in critical condition.
There’s a news video.