We haven’t made much progress in the past 25 years as RLMiller reminds us and this doesn’t bode well for the children of this planet.
Are you smarter than a 4th grader?
I remember from my 4th grade science class that Venus–not Mercury, the planet closest to the sun–is the hottest planet because the greenhouse gases (ghg) trap the heat.
If you don’t believe in climate change (how convenient for you that you don’t have to concern yourself with altering your behavior to become more responsible) maybe you need to read Climate Change: Highlights from National Academies Report or thte Q&A at The Guardian. Are you honestly willing to take such a reckless gamble with your children’s future?
Texas ranks #1 in the USA in CO2 emissions and, if Texas were a country, it would rank 7th in the world. Methane/natural gas is the most powerful GHG but Texas doesn’t track any methane emissions, even those from leaks, blowouts and pressure releases. The United States ranks 2nd in the world in CO2 emissions.
We need more than a Band-Aid.
From the song:
The only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears.”
This planet needs a tourniquet to stop the worldwide hemorrhaging of trillions of gallons of fresh water from gas development. As hydraulic fracturing spreads to other countries we are headed for water bankruptcy.
Our Water Commons: Toward a Rights-Based Solution to the Global Water Crisis
- 80% of worldwide deaths are caused by dirty water.
- Every 8 seconds a baby dies of waterborn disease. (HELLO? Choose Life people? Where are you?)
- Australia, Argentina, Iraq, Pakistan, Jordan, S. E. Asia, Nevada, California, Kenia, Spain are all running out of fresh water.
- The mistreatment, displacement and abuse of water is the major cause of climate change.
- T. Boone Pickens is buying the Ogalala to resell water to Fort Worth when the prices go up.
- Barlow believes that water should be a public trust as it is in Vermont and that water is different than anything else. It cannot be for profit!
- All people need safe, clean and public water. Bottled water should be banned, as Canada has done.
- For one year, it costs $1.88 to drink 8 glasses a day of tap water.
- For one year, it costs $2000 to drink 8 glasses a day of bottled water.
We haven’t made much progress in the past 25 years. Our planet can’t afford another 25 years following this pattern