Oops! One of those safe-enough-to-put-in-neighborhoods gas wells sprung a leak. It’s a good thing no one struck a match or threw out a cigarette butt.
Posted: Friday, 24 July 2009 4:35AM
LakeLEAK Nearly Forces Grand Prairie Evacuation
Grand Prairie firefighters came close to evacuating a whole neighborhood because of a gas leak near Joe Poole Lake last night. Around 9 p.m. residents along Grand Peninsula Drive, on the west side of the lake, began noticing a haze in the air. It turned out to be from an XTO Energy gas well and the Grand Prairie Fire Department was making plans for an evacuation when XTO crews got the leak capped.
UPDATE: WFAA has some video but not much additional information.
In addition to the land and water contamination issues, at each stage of production and delivery, tons of toxic volatile compounds, including benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, xylene, etc., and fugitive natural gas (methane), escape and mix with nitrogen oxides from the exhaust of diesel-driven, mobile and stationary equipment to produce ground-level ozone. Ozone combined with particulate matter less than 2.5 microns produces smog (haze). Gas field produced ozone has created a serious air pollution problem similar to that found in large urban areas, and can spread up to 200 miles beyond the immediate region where gas is being produced. Ozone not only causes irreversible damage to the lungs, it is equally damaging to conifers, aspen, forage, alfalfa, and other crops commonly grown in the West. Adding to this is the dust created by fleets of diesel-driven water trucks working around the clock hauling the constantly accumulating condensate water from well pads to central evaporation pits.